Mailchimp is a great email tool to stay connected with your athletes in keeping them in the loop about your current and upcoming events. Mailchimp is also a free forever tool that makes your entry point into mass emailing that gives you reliable delivery and statistics into your email success rates.
Here's what you need to do to setup Mailchimp in Competition Corner.
Creating your Mailchimp API Key
- If you haven't signed up, create a Mailchimp account at www.mailchimp.com
- Once logged in, go to your Account page
- Then click on the Extras menu and select API Keys
- Scroll down about half way, and click on Create A Key
- Mailchimp will add a new row to Your API keys
- By default, Mailchimp will name your API key none set. You can rename to something meaningful, like Competition Corner. (That's so you know what app is using that API key)
- Copy the API key
Authorizing Competition Corner to use your Mailchimp API Key
- Log into Competition Corner
- Go to your Organizer Profile by clicking on the gear icon next to your name
- Scroll down to the MailChimp API Key field and paste your API key
- Click Save and Check
- Make sure you get a confirmation with a green check
- If you get an error, double check your API key and try again.
Syncing Your Contacts
Now that your account is setup with MailChimp, simple go to your Event, navigate to the Athlete list.
You'll now see a Sync Status with an option to import.
There are 3 statuses:
- * Pending - Means your list is in queue to be synced with MailChimp
- Syncing - Means it's currently syncing with MailChimp
- Up To Date - Means your in MailChimp is current
* When the status is Pending, it may take up to 15 minutes to process depending on the load MailChimp is dealing with at the moment.
Once the syncing is completed, you can log into your MailChimp account. A new list will be created based on the name of your event.
From there you can start communicating with your athletes using the various features MailChimp has to offer.
Reputation is key with Mailchimp, make sure you are in good standing with Mailchimp. If you have a low email reputation with Mailchimp, you may have issues with sending emails in which case we would suggest exporting your Athlete list and using a different mailing method.
There's a couple reasons why athletes don't sync to Mailchimp:
- The athlete provided a dead email address at the point of registration, when Mailchimp processes an email it checks to see if it exists before processing it.
- The athlete did not opt-in after their record was synced into Mailchimp.